Monday, March 5, 2007

Why I Stand by My Ann

For those who want my commentary on the Ann Coulter "controversy" at CPAC, I think I sum it up pretty well with my comment at Tammy Bruce's blog as "ASHLEYMATT".

After that, one more point:
The fundamental fact about Ann Coulter that all liberals and some uppity conservatives fail to see is this-- she is as much a brilliant and creative comedian as she is an intellectual writer. In fact, I've never read another author who so seamlessly flows back and forth between skewering humor and earnest, cerebral analysis. So seamlessly, in fact, that her jokes are apparently over the heads of many who don’t even realize she is jesting in the first place. To the indignant ones who say they are disappointed that Ann Coulter has sunk to the left’s level: you don’t get it, she is so far above their level, they don’t even understand her satire. If you take everything she says literally and need everything explained to you, you are not ready for Ann Coulter’s work.



Now to heart of this post: Some have asked me why I am so loyal and defensive when it comes to Ann Coulter. There are certainly many political figures I admire, in fact some I follow more closely than Lady Ann, but my fidelity to her is much more personal. Everyone is asked growing up who their heroes are or whom they idolize. For me that answer was always the same: No One. There was never any adult I wanted to emulate, none I saw as a model of what I wanted to become. That is until I started reading Ann Coulter. In her words, I discovered all the qualities I want for myself: spiked wit, ab-tightening comedy, poetic satire, intellectual prowess, and, most of all, absolute fearlessness. Because of her, I went from appreciating and following politics to wanting to be a part of them. I had found my hero.

What lies in the deepest, darkest recesses of the public's mind, Ann Coulter exclaims in her first paragraph. She cannot be tempered. She truly enjoys and derives encouragement from her critics. Liberals continue to believe that her unparalleled nature will make her an outcast; instead it has made her a millionaire. This is not the first time Ann Coulter has said something that made leftists and elites hysterical, and it will not be the last.
And as I did this time, when I hear or see her jolting words, I will gasp, shake my head, and then crack a smile and say, "That's my girl."






P.S. If you want to like Ann but are afraid of her "over the top" comments, I'd like to refer you to two of my favorite columns of hers, examples which illustrate that she lives both to smite liberals as a talented comedian and to give clarity and insight into situations as an intellectual conservative: 2003's "With Half His Brain Tied Behind His Back" and 2005's "Come Back, Liberals!".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing.